[SunHELP] good or bad?

Paul Mitcheson pmitcheson at iee.org
Fri Feb 8 05:01:24 CST 2002

> If I connect this comment to the article, I would say that you mean to say that
> a sun x86 product running Linux cannot be a decent computer. But aren't a lot
> of machines around the internet configured this way? Isn't this setup what made
> Linux to what it is now?

I guess what I meant was I have got really fed up on Intel boxen being
unreliable and a pain to set up.  Linux on Intel always seems to be a
pain to set up.  I am sysadmin for my resarch group and a number of
people run Linux on Intel.  There are always problems configuring
XFree86 with certain graphics cards etc etc.  If we were running Sol
SPARC, these probs would not arise.

Perhaps my argument is one for proprietry hardware/software, that is
just 'plug 'n' work', as Scott McNealy puts it.  Perhaps if Sun produce
x86 mnachines they will still come with an openboot and be built to a
high standard, and if you install 'Sun Linux', perhaps it will 'just
work' on their boxes, with no hassle.

Still, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.  I think I
am also concerned that this is going to help the wintel duopoly.  (But
before someone says it, I appreciate that Sun shipping Intel/Linux is
better than no Sun.)

Paul
      .---.
     /     \
     \. at -@./     Paul Mitcheson
     /`\_/`\     Control and Power Research Group
    //  _  \\    Imperial College London
   | \     )|_   mailto:pmitcheson at iee.org
  /`\_`>  <_/ \  http://www.mitcheson.demon.co.uk/paul