[SunHELP] Latest machines that still run SunOS 4.1.4?

David L Kindred (Dave) kindred at telesciences.com
Thu Feb 7 16:21:08 CST 2002

    Dale> What is preventing you from running Solaris 2.x?

To be honest, lack of time to verify the old third-party applications,
and not being current enough on Solaris/SunOS compatibility.  Staying
with 4.1.4 seemed like the easiest path (other then staying with the
existing boxes).  That and the obvious easy answer "D'oh".  In the
little cubby-holes of my mind the old SunOS and new Solaris boxes are
separated by a dusty hallway full of HP-UX machines.

    Dale> Get a dual processor Ultra 2 (which are quite cheap now) and
    Dale> load it up with Solaris 8, which still retains SunOS 4.1.4
    Dale> binary compatability.

I'll ask one of the engineering guys to test the key apps on our
existing Solaris 8 boxes.  Thanks for the proverbial smack upside the
head!

--
David L. Kindred                       <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator   Telesciences, Inc.