[SunHELP] Shutting down ports...

Joe Pampel joe at ardsley.com
Thu Feb 7 12:35:02 CST 2002

to find out what program is tying up which port, use lsof -i :<portnum>
Find out where those programs load and stop them from loading (for RC.x
files,
change S to s in name for ex.)

comment out everything you don't need in inetd.conf  You should do this
anyhow IMHO as by default you run all sorts of useless junk like chargen etc.

hth

Joe

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:49:45 -0600, "Jeff Feller" <jeff at bitz.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've asked this before and I think the answer was to remove files or rename
> files in /etc/rc* or something.. but, I have a bunch of ports open on my
> Solaris 8 machine and I'd like to close them.
>
> Port       State       Service
> 21/tcp     open        ftp
> 22/tcp     open        ssh
> 25/tcp     open        smtp
> 80/tcp     open        http
> 110/tcp    open        pop-3
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 4045/tcp   open        lockd
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
> 32775/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc13
> 32776/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc15
> 32777/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc17
> 32778/tcp  open        sometimes-rpc19
>
> All I need is ftp, ssh, smtp, httpd, and pop3 ... What's the easiest/best
way
> to do it?  Thanks.
>
> Jeff Feller

man inetd
man inetd.conf

This should give you a much more solid understanding of why these services
are
being started. Then after you are done with that, you might also want to:

man iinit

--
Wesley Wannemacher
Email:          wesw at aol.net
Office:         614.538.3264
Pager:          877.236.2892
Operations Analyst
CompuServe Interactive Services, Inc.

[demime 0.99c.1 removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org