[SunHELP] NVRAM weirdness

Zachariah Mully zmully at smartbrief.com
Thu Feb 7 14:15:30 CST 2002

Hello all-
	I wrote in a couple of weeks ago about the Kodak Image Magic PS4 (aka
Sun Ultra 5) that I had but that I couldn't boot anything other than the
Kodak HDD. I ordered a new PROM/NVRAM/whatever chip from Mouser and I
installed it today, and following the directions from the PROM
reprogramming page I was able to successfully reprogram the new PROM.
	Weird thing is, I was about to do a Debian install, booting via TFTP. I
had the original Kodak disk drive in there and it booted off that before
I could get into OpenBOOT. It flashed something about Solaris 5.5 on the
screen before it reset the machine. Now my new PROM is exhibiting the
same symptoms as the old PROM... i.e. I can no longer get into the
OpenBOOT menu, it simply says "Initializing... Please Wait..." when it
is booting. Then it won't do a thing unless the original drive is hooked
up.
	I was careful to reset the PROM write-protect jumper after programming
my new PROM, but the KODAK software has somehow managed to munge my
brand new PROM even with it write-protected!  Anyone have any idea how
to reverse this/short the PROM so that I can reprogram it again? Or am I
going to have to shell out another $25 bux and wait another 2 weeks for
yet another new PROM from Mouser?

Thanks again,
Zack