[SunHELP] IDE RAID?

Phil Brutsche sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 30 15:30:11 CST 2001

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 14:44, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> The Promise cards SUCK!!!!

Yes the RAID cards do.  They're great if all you need is simply another
IDE bus or two :)

> I have half a dozen 3ware IDE RAID cards and they are great. We have ~3TB on
> 3Ware cards and I have NEVER had a problem. I am running both Win2K and
> Linux on them.
>
> The Promise cards do RAID in the drivers, so they are more Software than
> Hardware RAID (they do have a new line out that is true hardware raid). The
> 3Ware cards and the higher end Adaptec cards do real Hardware RAID. Their is
> a big difference.

Yes, the 3ware cards rule.

There are a couple problem with using the 3ware cards in this situation,
however:

1) no Solaris drivers
2) they're PCI cards.  Bill wants to put them in a Ultra 2.

If it was a PCI Sun running Linux (or maybe NetBSD/OpenBSD, I don't know
how well they support 3ware cards) and had a drive for booting the OS
(3ware cards can't boot anything but a PC), he might be in business.

--

Phil