[SunHELP] External SCSI Drive

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 15 15:51:12 CST 2001

1.  $4,000 sounds awfully high.  You should be able to buy a standard SCSI
drive and external enclosure to mount it in.  The local vendor that I use is
pretty good about taking care of the legwork for things like this
(www.uptime.net, out of Edmond, OK).

Go take a look at www.pricewatch.com at the prices for SCSI drives.  Also,
select Cases, then look at the SCSI subcategory.

2.  Make sure the drive is one supported on both systems (hardware wise).
If they are both Solaris, make sure you use UFS.  Make sure that you POWER
off the machines when attaching or unattaching the drive.

3.  When booting the machine up after attaching it, stop it before it gets
into the boot process and type boot -r at the OK prompt to make Solaris
reconfigure everything in /dev.  Better yet, do a "touch /reconfigure"
before shutting down to attach the drive.  There's also a way to do this
without shutting down the machine, "drvconfig; disks", but you've got to
have the machine powered down to attach the drive anyway.

You are going to have to use format to set up the slices and newfs to make
the filesystem.

To mount the drive, use "mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/<disk> <mountpoint>",
assuming that you are using UFS.

-----
Nathan Nichols
Unix System Administrator