[SunHELP] External SCSI Drive

Paul S Card sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Nov 16 02:33:31 CST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <nathan.nichols at cicadacorp.com>
To: <sunhelp at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 11:51 PM
Subject: RE: [SunHELP] External SCSI Drive

> 1.  $4,000 sounds awfully high.  You should be able to buy a standard SCSI
> drive and external enclosure to mount it in.  The local vendor that I use
is
> pretty good about taking care of the legwork for things like this
> (www.uptime.net, out of Edmond, OK).
>
> Go take a look at www.pricewatch.com at the prices for SCSI drives.  Also,
> select Cases, then look at the SCSI subcategory.
>
> 2.  Make sure the drive is one supported on both systems (hardware wise).
> If they are both Solaris, make sure you use UFS.  Make sure that you POWER
> off the machines when attaching or unattaching the drive.

If you use something like a Sun multipak, which supports hot pluggable
drives (SCA-2), you just have to ensure that the fs is not mounted, saves
powering off and on. Downside is you need one at each site. If you shop
around you should be able to purchase a bare multipack for a reasonable
price, you would also need a spud bracket.

-- Paul