[SunHELP] E450 CPU change and OBP flash?

Hatle, Steven J. sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 10:40:07 CDT 2001

All,

We have a 450 that I was attempting to put a different CPU in. We had a
faster one left over from another upgrade, so I figured "what the heck".
(Yes, it's compatible. I can provide part numbers if necessary, but it came
from _another_ 450)

However, when I put it in, the machine would not boot. The power light would
come on, but never the service light. The screen would stay dark. When I put
the old CPU back in, there was no problem.

I'm assuming to do this, I need to apply the firmware flash, patch
106122-09. The current versions of the OBP and POST are old, according to
this patch. The firmware flash seems fairly straightforward.

Am I barking up the right tree? Is this the right flash, or is there another
one? Any issues I need to be aware of regarding this flash?

TIA,

Steve

Steve Hatle
VUE - a Pearson company