[SunHELP] E450 CPU change and OBP flash?

Lee Khuong sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu May 31 11:58:24 CDT 2001

--------------4A962624087255DD9AF5E959

Steve,

Just to make sure that you're not mixing different CPU speeds in your
E450 when upgrading right?  All CPUs in the E450 has to have the same
speed and when upgrading, check your hardware manual for any jumper need
to be turn on/off for E450 clock to match your CPU speed.  Those are the
first few things I would do before going to OBP upgrade.  Gotta get your
system up before OBP can be run.

G'Luck!

Lee

"Hatle, Steven J." wrote:

> All,
>
> We have a 450 that I was attempting to put a different CPU in. We had a
> faster one left over from another upgrade, so I figured "what the heck".
> (Yes, it's compatible. I can provide part numbers if necessary, but it came
> from _another_ 450)
>
> However, when I put it in, the machine would not boot. The power light would
> come on, but never the service light. The screen would stay dark. When I put
> the old CPU back in, there was no problem.
>
> I'm assuming to do this, I need to apply the firmware flash, patch
> 106122-09. The current versions of the OBP and POST are old, according to
> this patch. The firmware flash seems fairly straightforward.
>
> Am I barking up the right tree? Is this the right flash, or is there another
> one? Any issues I need to be aware of regarding this flash?
>
> TIA,
>
> Steve

--------------4A962624087255DD9AF5E959

begin:vcard
n:Khuong;Lee
tel;fax:(703) 648-9110
tel;work:(703) 648-9020 ext 413
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.go-allied.com
org:The Allied Group;SNS
adr:;;1890 Preston White Drive Suite 200;Reston;VA;20191;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:lkhuong at TheAlliedgroup.com
title:Systems Consultant
fn:Khuong, Lee
end:vcard