[SunHELP] GNOME 1.4 - unsupported evaluation

Tugrul Galatali sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 21:56:04 CDT 2001

On Fri, 25 May 2001, Chad A. Chance wrote:

> Howdy,
> 	For those that don't know about this
> http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/getgnome14.html
>
> 	Has anybody tried this yet? I downloaded it, it installed fine, but when I
> try to start it up, after about 10 seconds it just drops me back to the
> login, no error messages or clues as to why. I though it might have to do
> with my setup so I created a test user, logged in with it and the same
> thing.

	I have it installed and running on my U2. I had the same problem at
first, but I honestly can't tell you how I fixed it. My one hint is to make
sure you don't have a .xinitrc... I was screwing around with dtlogin to get it
to add blackbox, but for some reason I wasn't having much luck, even with a
nice full howto. I eventually settled to writing a startx script around openwin
to make me feel at home :)
	When I tried restoring dtlogin, after deleting my custom /etc/dt, it
just would not start up, immediately dropping back to the console giving me the
command line login message. After a reboot and some random incantations, I
managed to get it working again, and after deleting my .xinitrc, gnome worked.
	I'm going to have to mess with dtlogin in a more methodological manner
next time :)

> 	I've been trying to get GNOME to work for over a year now, compiling from
> source & different binary distributions, I have had limited success and when
> it does work it is SO unstable. Is there something about SPARCs that makes
> this such a pain? I have an old 200MMX laptop that I have Slackware running
> on and it handles GNOME just fine.

	This is the first time I've tried it (I was going to try it from source
but Sun beat me to the punch), and it seems pretty damn solid to me. Its
pretty on the 20" :)
	My only hitch is that the gaim I built from source core dumps when
launched from the menu with gnome's xalf utility.
	And mozilla doesn't seem to be linked from anywhere in the UI out of
the box, although its installed.

> 	By the way, I'm trying to get this to work on a SS20, dual SM61, 288M RAM,
> SX graphics. If anybody has any tips, tricks or magic incantations, then
> please send them my way...

	I hope the machine is a good deal faster than my dual SM41 SS10 :) The
last time I used a SS20 was for oracle 8i + mod_perl, and it was respectable
(within spitting distance of a K6-2 300). I just didn't know enough back then
to run psrinfo, and my former boss is too lazy to check for me.
	Then again, a 25% boost in mbus and 50% boost on both cpus should make
a world of difference.

	Tugrul Galatali