[SunHELP] GNOME 1.4 - unsupported evaluation

Chad A. Chance sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri May 25 16:40:39 CDT 2001

Howdy,
	For those that don't know about this
http://www.sun.com/software/star/gnome/getgnome14.html

	Has anybody tried this yet? I downloaded it, it installed fine, but when I
try to start it up, after about 10 seconds it just drops me back to the
login, no error messages or clues as to why. I though it might have to do
with my setup so I created a test user, logged in with it and the same
thing.

	I've been trying to get GNOME to work for over a year now, compiling from
source & different binary distributions, I have had limited success and when
it does work it is SO unstable. Is there something about SPARCs that makes
this such a pain? I have an old 200MMX laptop that I have Slackware running
on and it handles GNOME just fine.

	By the way, I'm trying to get this to work on a SS20, dual SM61, 288M RAM,
SX graphics. If anybody has any tips, tricks or magic incantations, then
please send them my way...

Chad