[SunHELP] use GNU or Solaris utils ?

Scanlan, Brian (5188) sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 10:34:21 CST 2001

GNU locate works better than find, as it works totally
different than find. GNU locate is definitely worth
installing on your system - It's pretty handy!

(It runs a find on specified filesystems once a night and
stores to a DB, which locate looks up when run).

I usually have a load of the GNU utilities installed
on my system in /opt/gnu, certainly worth having around,
though they're sometimes feature bloated and don't follow the
syntax of the trusty old standardised Solaris utils. :)
(tar springs to mind...)

Definitely don't _replace_ your OS utilities with GNU utils,
just have them elsewhere.

Brian.