[SunHELP] Remote Solaris from Windows ?

Ian Chilton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 10:12:31 CST 2001

Hello,

At work, we have windows workstations, but connect to remote Solaris
2.6 machines.

However, we have a Sparc sat here in the sever room, which is not used
much...

According to uname -a, it has SunOS 5.5.1

On windows, we run an Xserver called KEA!X. Looking at the
configuration, it runs this:

/usr/openwin/bin/xterm -sb -title xterm -ls -display %display%

I have found that I can open a sessions using this, and the $DISPLAY
environment variable is set...so I can do things like:

/usr/openwin/bin/xterm and /usr/openwin/bin/clock and it desplay on my
local workstation fine.

My question is, what do I run to get a full Solaris desktop session on
the remote end?

(The machine has xdm loaded)

I thought it may be /usr/openwin/bin/openwin, but that gives:
$ /usr/openwin/bin/openwin
openwin: There is already a server running on :0

Any ideas?

(I would appreciate it if you could reply direct to ian at ichilton.co.uk,
as I don't check my m/list mail as often)

Thanks in Advance!!

Bye for Now,

Ian

                                \|||/
                                (o o)
 |  Ian Chilton        (IRC Nick - GadgetMan)     ICQ #: 16007717  |
 |  E-Mail: ian at ichilton.co.uk     Web: http://www.ichilton.co.uk  |
 |         Budget: A method for going broke methodically.          |