[SunHELP] use GNU or Solaris utils ?

Martin A. Marques sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 13:07:52 CST 2001

El Mar 16 Ene 2001 12:48, escribiste:
> HI,
>
> Is there any reason to replace the Solaris 8 file or find utilities w/ the
> GNU packages ? GNU 'locate' works faster than 'find' but i am not sure i
> need to replace other the other utils. Do admins generally replace the
> default utils w/ GNU utils ?

I think it's more about things that don't come with Solaris, and are in the
GNU package. For example, we use KDE on all our SUN stations, and to compile
it, we use gnu-make and gcc.
Any way there are some utils that are much nicer the GNU version then the
Solaris version (example: ls).

Saludos... :-)

--
System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martn Marqus			email: 	martin at math.unl.edu.ar
Santa Fe - Argentina		http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar