[Sunhelp] adding sub-domain to dns server

Mike Meredith sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Oct 31 15:23:22 CST 2000

Hi

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, you wrote:
> we have a plan to add 1000 entries to our DNS server as a sub-domain.
> (bind 8.1.2 on Solaris8)
> What impact will this have on our server?

If your server is equal to or greater than an SS10 with 48Mbytes of memory,
absolutely none --- I've got such a DNS server with around 10,000 records
running with no problems whatsoever. I suspect that you could get away with a
much smaller server as well --- unless of course you have a *really* busy DNS
server.