[Sunhelp] mirror

John Kennedy jkennedy at orent.com
Wed Oct 11 09:52:15 CDT 2000

If you use cron I think it would work.  You could also modify it to run
the way you want it to.
John

Here is what the site says about duplicate.sh:

Create a Standby Root Mirror: duplicate.sh

Get the latest version of duplicate.sh

This script works for Solaris machines only, but does support multiple
Sun architectures.  It duplicates
the root disk to another disk using newfs, fsck, and dump.  It then sets
the EEPROM settings to
automatically boot off that disk the next time the system is rebooted.

Copying the OS

To copy the OS, it performs the following steps:

      Partition the copy drive to look the same as the drive we are
booted from
      newfs the appropriate filesystems on the other drive
      fsck the appropriate fileystems on the other drive
      Use dump/restore to copy the OS over to the other drive
      Modifies the /etc/vfstab to look right on the other drive

This is typically done via cron once a night.  The duplication can be
halted if you are planning on an OS
upgrade, patch installation, application installation, or other risky
project.  If anything happens to your
OS as a result of this project, you can safely boot off the old disk if
you halted the duplication for the
length of the project.

Setting the alternate boot

duplicate.sh uses the disk aliases (e.g. disk0 disk3) already
available.  It looks at the disk we are currently
booted from (e.g. disk0), and then sets the boot argument to the other
disk (e.g. boot disk3).  That
way, the next time the system reboots, it boots from this disk.  This
continually tests the process and
the other disk.  A neat feature of this is that if the system panics for
any reason, it automatically boots
from the other disk when it comes back up.

Don't Forget

Remember to disable the duplication process for a few days any time you
are planning an upgrade of any
kind.  When you install patches or applications that require a reboot,
make sure you set the boot alias to
boot off the drive that you just modified.  Otherwise, you will boot off
the alternate disk that was not
modified.  Of course, you could also immediately run duplicate.sh, but I
wouldn't advise that.  I would
make sure that the change didn't negatively affect your system.

--
John Kennedy
UNIX System Administrator