[Sunhelp] Re: SunOS 4.1 CD Problem

Steffen Grunewald steffen at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Oct 11 09:51:00 CDT 2000

On Wed 2000-10-11 (09:13), blake r matheny wrote:
> OK, I've got a SunOS 4.1 CDROM. It specifically states support for the
> Sun4c architecture, yet when trying to boot the cd from an IPC I get
> errors. The instructions say to use b sd(,6,2) -sw to boot off the cd,

That's in fact pre-OBP syntax...

boot cdrom should do - you'd have to enter "new mode" before.

> but my ROM rev no longer supports that. Every combination of boot
> /sbus/esp/sd@* and boot cdrom * that I have tried has failed with 1 of
> 2 error messages, either Illegal Instruction or The program does not
> look executable.

Is your NVRAM still OK ?

  I know for a fact that this is a sun bootable cdrom
> (it's a Sony CDU-8012).

Did someone tamper with it and switch it to non-512 byte blocking?

Steffen, did you really say 4.1 (without anything??? - I'd try 4.1.4)
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne