[SunHELP] Sun 4/6xx Memory Board Installation

Peter L. Wargo sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 28 18:41:01 CST 2000

> I got a very special problem. I'm running a 670MP CPU board (501-2055)
> with dual sm41 and 128MB in a sun 3/260 chassis. Works fine with Solaris
>
> 2.5.1. Lately I got 512MB out of a 690MP Server. I know, that Ihave to
> set jumpers x03/x04 on the front of the backplane. But I have no idea
> which one. I tried several combinations but I cannot get the system to
> recognize the additional RAM. If someone has an idea please tell me. Is
> the backplane in the 3/360 perhaps different from the 4/6xx backplane.

Egad, this falls under the "kinky, kinky" category.

I have no idea how well this will work, buuuuuut...

O.K., a quick flip through my FE handbook nets me some info:

The 3/360 used a 501-1192 or 501-1117 (pressfit ver.) backplane.

P2 bus assignments were:

SLOT: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

P2:   A A A A A A B C D  E  E  E

First , make sure the Memory card and CPU ard are both in P2 Bus "A"
territory.  According the the book, the CPU prefers slot 4, the 1st meory
prefers slot 2.

In a system with one memory board, the memory board can arbitrarily be
assigned as board 1 or board 2 by setting P3607.  Check the setting of
this for the fun of it.

Configure backplane jumpers for BG3 and IACK. According to the FE
Handbook, the B3 & IAK make no difference for the first memory board. (CPU
must both be open, memory # 2 is both closed.)

I assume you haven't changed the board jumpers (for the memory) and that
they are set correctly for 512M RAM.  If you need those Jumper settings,
let me know, I'll have to dig 'em out.

Let me know if this helps,

-Pete
-----