[SunHELP] Re: DNS

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 27 12:45:03 CST 2000

> No offense to Sun, but a friend of mine who
> maintains about 200+ sun boxes and four
> Sun servers on a very large network (1000s
> of PCs also) opted fora cheap PC running linux
> to do DNS. I think it is simpler to setup
> and maintain. I have never done it on a
> Sun either, so I could not make a comparison.

no offense to you and your friend, but bind is bind and it as is easy/hard to
setup on linux as it is on solaris.

>> Hi i need to setup DNS for one of the web site we
>> propose to build ?
>> anyone
>> have the walkthrough!!! or any web refererral ?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Mohammed Ilyas K.

i don't have any web references off the top of my head, but all you need to
do is go to www.isc.org and there should be a good howto or docs or whatever
there that should get you started.  if you are still having trouble, feel free
to email me directly and i'll help you out.

also, if you want BIND 9.x you need to download it, since Solaris 8 ships with
BIND 8.2

-brian