[Sunhelp] Dual CPU SPARC20

Martin Marshall sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Nov 22 07:32:02 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2000, Alan Robinson wrote:
>
> > Actually it is possible in some cases to run CPUs with different speeds. I
> > have been using an SM71/SM61 combination in an SS10 for several months now.
> > The only problem that I have seen is with the CDE image viewer which crashes
> > when both CPUs are enabled (via psradm). Outside of that little glitch it
> > works quite well. As Bill points out the question is how reliable a
> > non-matched set will be. Not every combination works. Anyone else have
> > experience with non-matched CPUs?
>
> You can _probably_ safely mix:
>
> SuperSparc-I CPU's with SuperCache (SM41/51/61) with each other.
>
> SuperSparc-II CPU's (SM71/81) with each other.
>
> Most older Ross HyperSparcs with each other.
>
> You can also mix a SM50 and an MP-capable SM40 in a SS10 as they're
> essentially the same module, just rated for different speeds.
>
> -James

In a related question, can any SM71 be used with any other SM71
processor in a dual processor SS10 (Boot PROM 2.25) or does a dual
processor configuration require using SM71 processors with the same part
number?  Does anyone know Sun's position on this question?  I have one
501-3001 processor and would like to add a second processor to my SS10.

Thank you,
Martin Marshall