[SunHELP] UFS logging worth it?

Bill Bradford sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 21 10:39:06 CST 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 08:48:42AM -0600, Steve Pribyl wrote:
> My take on vxfs is there unless there is a compeling reason to use it, big
> boxes or high availibty, don't.  On a small box, few disks, not much
> backplane, little benifit will be gain.

I've got this configuration:

AXe OEM ATX-form-factor motherboard
IDE HDs (4.5gig), both on the same IDE channel

It seems that only on the SECOND HD, I get data
loss/corruption with UFS, even with logging turned on.
The drive itself is fine (ran format/analyze 3or4 times,
have newfs'ed the drive to hell and back), but if I
do anything (rm -rf of a gcc source tree, for example,
or do two tar -xvf's at once) even remotely strenuous,
I get UFS errors.  Until I mounted with onerror=lock, this
woudl panic and kill the machine...

Not a single problem at ALL with the first HD.  and they're
IDENTICAL!

Bill

--
Bill Bradford