[SunHELP] UFS logging worth it?

Steve Pribyl sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 21 08:48:42 CST 2000

I have used vxfs on hp machines.  The most benifit was gained on machines
with large filesystems, more the an a few GB and it will start to show.
The other benefit was being able to grow filesystems on the fly. The down
side there is a performace hit on writes, but these were well tuned V, T,
K class boxes so it performace loss was minimal.

My take on vxfs is there unless there is a compeling reason to use it, big
boxes or high availibty, don't.  On a small box, few disks, not much
backplane, little benifit will be gain.

Steve Pribyl
spribyl at enteract.com
http://www.enteract.com/~spribyl