[SunHELP] UFS logging worth it?

Magnus Abrante sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 21 06:11:38 CST 2000

> I've used ADVFS in Tru64 which is also a logging filesystem though it seems
> rather more sophisticated. fsck becomes virtually non-existent. You can pull
> the mains out and restarts
> are instantaneous and clean. Also lets you concatenate disks on the fly to
> increase filesystem
> size. It's got some nice caching features too. Probably not of interest to
> pure SUN sites
> but it never hurts to know what the alternatives are.

Thats not a very special feature for ADVFS, as far as i know anything
which allows you to create RAID 0 devices (like disksuite, veritas
and so on) will allow you to increase the size of the devices
on the fly, if you have a Concat RAID 0 that is. For natural
reasons it wont work if you have a Striped RAID 0.

Also disksuite will allow you to log to another disk, which is quite
nice if you have a disk with a very high load.

Strange about the logging, logging should really improve the fcsk
time after a crash etc, i tried it on my previous job with very
good results, haven't heard that it shouldn't be working...

Would be intrested in getting more information so i could try
to reproduce it

	//Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */