[SunHELP] UFS logging worth it?

Fletcher, Joe sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 21 05:14:59 CST 2000

We've got logging on here. Can't see the benefits since there doesn't appear
to be much difference
between when it's on and when it's off. Take the system down and you still
end up with flaky filesystems most of the time. Not particularly impressive.

I've used ADVFS in Tru64 which is also a logging filesystem though it seems
rather more sophisticated. fsck becomes virtually non-existent. You can pull
the mains out and restarts
are instantaneous and clean. Also lets you concatenate disks on the fly to
increase filesystem
size. It's got some nice caching features too. Probably not of interest to
pure SUN sites
but it never hurts to know what the alternatives are.

Joe

MetaPack
The Lightwell
12/16 Laystall Street
Clerkenwell
London EC1R 4PF
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7843 6720
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7843 6721
This email is confidential and proprietary;
all information contained in it must be used only by the addressee in
accordance with MetaPack's terms of business and non-disclosure agreement.
Disclosure, copying, and distribution to, or use by, anyone other than the
intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.