[Sunhelp] Trouble with mkdir

Dan Angolano sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Nov 14 11:21:09 CST 2000

Do a ls -ld /home and compare it to any other directory, you will most
likely see something like:

dr-xr-xr-x   1 root     root           1 Oct 23 12:17 /home

drwxr-xr-x  25 root     sys          512 May 16  2000 /var

If the size of /home is in fact 1 on your system you can not create a
directory.  My understanding of the problem is /home is created when the OS
is installed to be used by automounter and the directory is not large enough
to hold the inods.  To get around this you need to stop the automounter,
remove the /home directory and recreate it.  This will create it like a
normal directory and you should have no trouble creating a sub-directory
under it.

Hope this helps,

Dan