[Sunhelp] how to add a path in the UNIX PATH

beemern at telecom.ksu.edu beemern at telecom.ksu.edu
Tue Jun 13 13:37:55 CDT 2000

Souleymane KANTE wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have download gcc and gzip programs and installed them on my Sun Sparc
> with Solaris 2.6.
> But I can't run them. I think I have to add them in the UNIX PATH. I am
> connected with the  root  account and with my personal account.
> How to put these program in the UNIX PATH ?
> the file are located in /usr/local/bin

depends on which shell you are using.

if

echo $SHELL returns something with 'bash' in it,

then you'll do

set PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export PATH

if

echo $SHELL returns something with 'tcsh' in it,

then you'll wanna do

setenv PATH "$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

they are obviously other shells, those two, i dare say, are most popular
hth!