[Sunhelp] Ultra 5 with a SUNPCI

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jun 29 16:15:23 CDT 2000

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Mike Klug wrote:

> I don't know if this is the appropriate forum to discuss this item, but i
> am looking at getting a Sun ULTRA5 and adding a SUNPCI.  I am looking for
> more information then sun has on that product.  do you guys know of any
> good websites that would have this info.

What are you looking for?

With a recent version of the software I have found them to be quite solid
and good performers.  The only real gotcha is that communicating from the
card to the host system via the "network" is painful, you must define an
external router that bounces the packets back.

You can upgrade them to K6-500's with a regular chip and a jumper change.
Quite speedy.  Video update speed is the only thing that feels even
slightly slow to me, but that can be improved by using an external monitor
off of the VGA plug on the SunPCi card or by using a fast accelerated UPA
framebuffer (Creator/Elite).

Max onboard RAM is 256MB, there are 2 DIMM slots that take regular PC100
JEDEC DIMMs.

-James