[Sunhelp] Ultra 5 with a SUNPCI

Frank Sommers fsommers at nowcom.com
Thu Jun 29 17:02:38 CDT 2000

I have just that configuration. I really like it, I think the SunCPI card
is a great product. One thing to note: It seems natural that you want the
Windows part of the system to talk to the Solaris part. But it's not easy.
The communication is via the TCP/IP stack of each OS, i.e., they appear as
two completely separate machines with different IP addresses that
communicate via the network. The twist is that both use the same Ethernet
adapter (in the Sun box), and this multiplexing causes that by themselves
the two "machines" will not see each other right out of the box, even
though they each sees any other machine on the network. I do not
completely understand the reason for this.

The solution is to use a router, and define static routes via this router,
i.e., define the router as the gateway from both the PC to the Sun, and
also from the Sun to the PC (via the route add command in both OSs). Now,
on the router, you need to have packet forwarding enabled. Because this is
my home machine, I ended up having to buy a DSL router, which allows this
configuration. One more thing: the Sun manual that comes with the SUNPCI
card erroneously states the route add command for Windows 98. But once
it's set up, it really is an ingenious tool. You can share files between
Windows and Solaris, and even map your home directory as a Windows drive.
The performance is very good, with a 400Mhz CPU.

Best,

Frank Sommers