[Sunhelp] Alias on the loopback interface...

Steven Levin steven.levin at ipix.com
Tue Jun 20 16:30:16 CDT 2000

Is it possible to add an alias IP to the loopback interface?  I know it is
under some other *IX systems.

Why do I want to, you ask?

Well, for a meshed environment, what I want to do is run dual NICs, each one
with a private network address.  Then I want to alias the internet-routable
address to the loopback, and have each server announce that it has the route
to that Internet IP.  This will allow the servers to route around a failed
switch, for example (each NIC being connected to a different switch).

but Solaris (at least, 2.8/x86) it doesn't seem to be working...

Thanks!

Steve