[Sunhelp] non-Sun memory

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Jan 23 23:40:59 CST 2000

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> Out of curiosity, does anyone know what putting non-Sun brand memory into
> a Sun box will do to our service contract (Silver level)?
>
> I'm hoping it'll just mean something like "if the problem turns out to be
> with the non-Sun memory, the call is billable" and not "if the problem turns
> out to be the non-Sun memory, your service contract is voided".

It's more like "if you don't remove all of the non-Sun parts before
calling a service guy out there, we won't touch it".  There are some
exceptions, I believe Kingston has an arrangement where their memory
modules are eligible for Sun service.

The same is true for third-party hard drives, etc.

-James