[Sunhelp] Problem in booting from a mirror disk8 in a UE-250 server.

English, John John.English at Nextel.com
Wed Jan 19 12:41:19 CST 2000

Srikanta,

I have found that the dd command works best when copying a boot disk, if you
boot cdrom standalone ( boot cdrom -s ). The dd command apparently doesn't
copy over the disk boot blocks 'if' you are running the dd command from the
disk you are copying from. By booting cdrom standalone, the running the dd
command the boot disk is treated as just and disk, and a full copy is made.
Also the disks must be the same , size , sectors, cylinders etc..

Hope this helps..

John R. English
Unix System Administrator
Mobile 404-557-0142  iDEN 5487
Desk 678.291.3687  Pgr 888-708-1831

-----Original Message-----
From: Srikanta Nayak [mailto:srikanta.nayak at cablecom.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 12:07 PM
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: [Sunhelp] Problem in booting from a mirror disk8 in a UE-250
server.

Dear Experts!

I have a UE-250 server loaded with Sol.2.6 on boot disk0 . I did mirror of
the
boot disk using simple dd command to disk8. And if I try to boot from disk 8
by
giving command  boot disk8 from ok prompt it says Can't boot disk device
disk8 &
it looks for some file to be key in.

UE-250 servers has target ids. like this way...target 8,9,a,b,c,d
I tried with all possibles, but can't boot. Whereas I have already done the
same
in a UE-450 server & it works fine ( with mirror disk target-1)
Can anybody suggest me how will it work ?

Thanking You.

Regards.

Mr.Srikanta.

SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org