[Sunhelp] help on tcp-wrapper 7.6

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Feb 3 12:46:53 CST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Srikanta Nayak wrote:

| In log files , there is no difference has been observed  before & after
| using tcpd. following are from log files before  & after using tcpd  from
| ftplog & authlog.  For telnet session it doesnot  track  even telnetd(pid)
| like ftpd in log files . To keep track of users from a NT PC , I installed
| ident services on NT &  compiled with rfc931 time=60 , but still there is no
| change in log files.

>From looking at the default tcp_wrappers Makefile, it seems that the
default facility that it logs to is mail.local:

FACILITY= LOG_MAIL      # LOG_MAIL is what most sendmail daemons use

# The syslog priority at which successful connections are logged.

SEVERITY= LOG_INFO      # LOG_INFO is normally not logged to the console

I typically give tcpd it's own facilitiy to log to, such as local7
(LOG_LOCAL7) for example, and make the appropriate syslog.conf entry for
it.

So, your tcpd syslog messages are ending up wherever you're logging your
mail.info messages. To get tcpd to syslog to auth.local, change the
FACILITY line in the Makefile to LOG_AUTH and recompile tcpd.

/dale