[Sunhelp] SGML tools on Solaris7 or non-GNUified Solaris

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Nov 21 18:24:23 CST 1999

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 04:58:09PM -0700, Wes Hofmann wrote:
> > with some "resistance".  None of the Solaris tools seem to
> > work, and I don't
> > want to GNUify Solaris.  I'd like to re-package this
> Why does there seem to be this anti-GNU attitude with many "Solaris people"?
> I personally think that GNU's tools incorporate many much-needed features
> that I've not found with Solaris.  In fact, I'm running 2.6 with the entire
> gnome/enlightenment project alongside virtually all of the GNU tools
> installed in /usr/local.  Please, don't interpret my question as an attack;
> I'm merely curious as to why this stigma about GNU seems to be shared by so
> many.
> Thanks for any feedback.
> Wes

Same here - one of the first things I do on a Solaris box is install all
the GNU utils.  Face it, in order to get many things to work, you *have*
to have the GNU versions of many utilities....

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net
                    mrbill at sunhelp.org   /   http://www.sunhelp.org