[Sunhelp] Compiling on sun4u and sun4m

whofmann at yahoo.com whofmann at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 05:45:01 CST 1999

I know that someone addressed this issue a short time ago, but I am still
somewhat confused on the issue.  After carefully reading about the -m
compiler optimizations for the sparc in gcc, I really am not sure what
options to use.

The two sparc machines I use are an Ultra10 (sun4u) and a Sparcbook
3GX(sun4m).  I am using GCC version 2.95.1.

The first question is about which variation of the sparc architecture I
should use when building on an UltraSparc(sun4u) or on a
MircoSparcII(sun4m).  Do I use -mv8 or -msparclite?  I would assume
that -mv8 would be appropriate for both processors.

The second question is about the processor optimization.  Given the
following excerpt from the GCC man page:

     -mcypress
     -msupersparc
          These two options select the processor  for  which  the
          code is optimised.

          With -mcypress (the default),  the  compiler  optimises
          code  for  the  Cypress  CY7C602  chip,  as used in the
          SparcStation/SparcServer 3xx series. This is  also  ap-
          propriate for the older SparcStation 1, 2, IPX etc.

          With -msupersparc the compiler optimises code  for  the
          SuperSparc  cpu,  as  used in the SparcStation 10, 1000
          and 2000 series. This flag also enables use of the full
          SPARC v8 instruction set.

I would THINK that when compiling on the sun4u, I would use -msupersparc,
but for compiling on the sun4m I have no idea.  Any advice on this would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Wes Hofmann