[Sunhelp] Anybody compiled NAS with Solaris7?

David Murphy drjolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Nov 9 05:18:35 CST 1999

Quoting <199911090738.BAA05255 at zebra3.zebra.net>
by dhansen at zebra.net:

> About the only thing that I know of for doing this is DiskSuite and
> I don't think I've heard anyone sing any praises for it. I looked at
> it a _little_ bit one time and decided that I'd rather just backup
> the system and reinstall it. Maybe someone else on the list has
> better things to say about it?

Personally, I think it's great for small installations, where Veritas
is overkill, certainly more convenient for mirroring the root disk
with, and included in the Solaris server pack at no extra cost.
Speaking for myself, I find the GUI somewhat confusing, and find the
command-line interface much more straightforward.

As for resising partitions, DiskSuite includes growfs, which can
expand UFS filesystems (once you've changed the partition sizes), but
can't shrink them. Reinstall.

--
"You can ISO9001 certify the process of shooting yourself in the foot,
so long as the process is documented and reliably produces the proper