[Sunhelp] Anybody compiled NAS with Solaris7?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Nov 9 09:44:38 CST 1999

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 10:53:10PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> I'd heard that a million times, but since cc EXISTED (and since I don't grok
> "sunspeak") I didn't understand the error.  Now for some hard stuff.  Can I
> resize slices "on the fly" as in without re-installing?  I'm trying to
> install gcc, and it's running out of room on the root slice, so I either
> need to make that bigger, or tell pkgadd where to stick itself.  I'll go
> read some man pages (boy, those are fun:) on pkgadd, and perhaps format, but
> I'd still appreciate anybodies input on whether or not I can do that.
> Thanks again,
> 	Greg

Nope, without using DiskSuite/Veritas, once you make the slices, you're
stuck with them.  On a "home" box, sometimes I actually tend to just
make two partitions: / and swap.  On "real production boxes", of course,
I do multiple partitions - but just making two partitions on a home box
lets you avoid the "crap, /var is full" situation.  Some will argue with
me on this, of course. 8-)

> You'd think that and OS that they were giving to promote DEVELOPMENT on
> would come with a compiler.  Does this seem strange to anybody else, or just
> me?

Yeah, its pretty screwed up, but at least SunFreeWare is there. 8-)

> P.S.  I'll just say thanks again Bill, for being here for all of us trying
> to learn about SPARCs and Suns, and for answering so many silly questions
> from people like me.

Hey, I enjoy it, and I enjoy helping people.

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net
                    mrbill at sunhelp.org   /   http://www.sunhelp.org