[Sunhelp] Anybody compiled NAS with Solaris7?

dhansen at zebra.net dhansen at zebra.net
Tue Nov 9 01:38:04 CST 1999

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu wrote:

>"sunspeak") I didn't understand the error.  Now for some hard stuff.  Can I
>resize slices "on the fly" as in without re-installing?  I'm trying to
>install gcc, and it's running out of room on the root slice, so I either
>need to make that bigger, or tell pkgadd where to stick itself.  I'll go

 About the only thing that I know of for doing this is DiskSuite and I don't
think I've heard anyone sing any praises for it. I looked at it a _little_ bit
one time and decided that I'd rather just backup the system and reinstall it.
Maybe someone else on the list has better things to say about it?

>> Basically - you just need to install a compiler.  Sun doesent include
>> one by default (but I hear rumors they may give out gcc and some other
>> GNU stuff on a "FreeWare"-type CD with Sol8..)
>
>You'd think that and OS that they were giving to promote DEVELOPMENT on
>would come with a compiler.  Does this seem strange to anybody else, or just
>me?

 Sun's official stance on removing cc from the package was to help instill
some competition amongst the 3rd party developers of compilers. Basically
they thought they were stifling competition since few customers were willing
to purchase a compiler when they already had Sun's cc compiler.
 It doesn't sound too odd as far as the development packages go. If the
developers are writing commercial code then they should have a commercial
compiler. If they are writing free software then they can write it under
the gpl and use the gcc compiler. Sun is just providing the target platform
for the sole price of what it costs to get it to the developers.