[Sunhelp] Anybody compiled NAS with Solaris7?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Nov 8 23:20:21 CST 1999

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 08:46:41PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> I decided I'd try to install XEMACS this weekend, since I've heard that it's
> nicer than the X window mode of EMACS, and becuase I've never used it.
> sunfreeware.com had all of the external libraries, except for NAS.  So,
> source code it is, if only it were so easy.  I'm using the cc program from
> /usr/ucb/cc as a compiler, and make from /usr/ccs/bin/make.  I'm assuming
> that these came with Solaris, since I don't recall installing them by hand
> (and I wouldn't put things is such strange directories).  Anyway, the error
> I get is something like
> rm -f main.o
> cc -c -O -Xc -xF -xcg92  -I. -I../include -I../../include
> -I../../usr.include -I/usr/openwin/include  -Dsun -Dsparc -DSVR4
> -DSYSV    -DINCLUDE_ALLOCA_H  main.c
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> And it does this for a whole BUNCH of files (I can capture output, but I
> don't think that it's relevant).  Anybody know what's causing this, and/or
> how to fix it?  The documentation for this package is REALLY bad, so I
> haven't dug up anything on my own.  Thanks,
> 	Greg

/usr/ucb/cc isnt a compiler, its a stub that prints out the message
that says "you need to buy the compiler". 8-)  Download and install
the egcs/gcc package for Sol7 from Sunfreeware, install it, and then
rename /usr/ucb/cc to /usr/ucb/cc.sun, then do
"ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/ucb/cc" as root.  Then, try it all
again. 8-)

Basically - you just need to install a compiler.  Sun doesent include
one by default (but I hear rumors they may give out gcc and some other
GNU stuff on a "FreeWare"-type CD with Sol8..)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford   *   mrbill at mrbill.net    /   http://www.mrbill.net
                    mrbill at sunhelp.org   /   http://www.sunhelp.org