[Sunhelp] format parameters for ST32550N and IBM DCHS-34550 needed

Gilles Melanson gilles at vianet.on.ca
Fri May 14 11:31:42 CDT 1999

>     I issued 'probe-scsi' in OpenBoot command line and a list of SCSI
> devices are detected properly. Later while the OS is loading, I noticed
> few lines of 'bad magic number' warnings. I guess this is ok since these
> drive are not from Sun. When I run 'format' command, only the drive
> inside SS20 is listed.

probe-scsi is there as a debug tool, more than anything.  It'll let you
know what devices the hardware sees, but it has nothing to do with the OS.

>    What are the exact steps to go through in order for Solaris to gain
> access to these devices? What entries do I need to enter into
> /etc/format.dat file? How do perform a low-level format and OS-level
> format on these drives? Any help is appreciated.

I normally do a 'boot -r' from the ok> prompt .. another method is to
touch /reconfigure and reboot (via shutdown -i6 -g0 -y0) .. I've always
done it the first way though.

Bad magic # is coming up because the drives haven't been
formatted/labelled yet.  That should go away once you boot -r and
format/label them.

--
Gilles Melanson				UNIX System Administrator
gilles at vianet.on.ca			Laurentian University

Please be advised that as of May 21st, 1999, I will no longer be
employed by Vianet Internet Solutions as a full time sysadmin.

If you have a support related question, please email support at vianet.on.ca.
Please limit Vianet-related email to critical issues only.