[Sunhelp] format parameters for ST32550N and IBM DCHS-34550 needed

Yu-I Tseng yxt0376 at ritvax.isc.rit.edu
Fri May 14 11:15:09 CDT 1999

--Boundary_(ID_gCA8Wm+lh4EjbzytYCYFFQ)

Greetings, all.

    I am totally new to Sun SparcStations. Recently I purchased a SS20
and a 911 case. Two Seagate ST-32550N and two IBM DCHS-34550 SCSI drives
have been installed in the external case and connected to the
workstation. Currently I am running Solaris 7. I want the OS have access
to these storage devices.

    I issued 'probe-scsi' in OpenBoot command line and a list of SCSI
devices are detected properly. Later while the OS is loading, I noticed
few lines of 'bad magic number' warnings. I guess this is ok since these
drive are not from Sun. When I run 'format' command, only the drive
inside SS20 is listed.

   What are the exact steps to go through in order for Solaris to gain
access to these devices? What entries do I need to enter into
/etc/format.dat file? How do perform a low-level format and OS-level
format on these drives? Any help is appreciated.

--Boundary_(ID_gCA8Wm+lh4EjbzytYCYFFQ)

begin:vcard
n:Tseng;Yu-I
tel;fax:(408) 327-0177
tel;home:(408) 835-8043
tel;work:(408) 450-6869
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.acmesoft.com
org:ACME Software Inc
version:2.1
email;internet:yxt0376 at ritvax.isc.rit.edu
title:Software Developer
adr;quoted-printable:;;2903 Bunker Hill Lane=0D=0ASuite 103;Santa Clara;CA;95054;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;22720
end:vcard

--Boundary_(ID_gCA8Wm+lh4EjbzytYCYFFQ)--