[SPARCbook] maximizing my SPARCbook 3GX

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 02:38:34 CST 2011

On 07/02/11 04:50, Justin Haynes wrote:
> List -
>
> I am running OpenBSD 4.8 STABLE on my SPARCbook 3GX with 1.2 GB hard drive
> and 64 (32x2) MB ram, and I'm interested in expanding it as much as
> possible.  I've always liked the look and feel of these machines, and would
> like to use it more often.
>
> I'm interested in getting the 2GB Tadpole drive so that I can replace the
> insides with a larger IDE drive.  Currently I'm using NFS quite a bit. :-)
> I'm hoping someone on the list may either be willing to part with one or
> know of a place that still sells them.  I've not found them sold any place
> I've checked from the various FAQs out there or from any of my searching.
>
> I'm hoping I can put in an SSD like this one:
> http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SSD-2-5-Inch/dp/B000T9QRKE .  I'm not
> sure how these SCSI to IDE converters will behave though.  If they can only
> handle a certain a capacity, will they only see the first 16GB for
> instance?  I'm hoping the decreased power consumption might allow the
> battery to last a bit longer when the unit isn't plugged in.  Also, I expect
> the fast wide SCSI-II to max out at 20MB/sec.  20MB/sec would be a *vast
> improvement*
>
> Also, I understand this hardware can take 128MB of RAM, but I keep reading
> unconfirmed reports of it being able to handle 256.  I apologize if this is
> already in the archives - I didn't find it.  I've already ordered the extra
> 64 I need to bring it to 128.
>
> I was pleased to have Miod's help on the sparc at openbsd list where he told me
> how to edit the driver file for the Weitek 9100 to support 32bpp.  I
> recompiled the kernel and now X looks beautiful on the 3GX.
>
> I'd like to have USB, but there don't seem to be any 16-bit usb interfaces
> for Type I,II or III cards.  My Netgear MA401RA works very well as a wifi
> device.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or pointers, I'd certainly love to hear them.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Justin
Hi Justin,

I do actually have an acard scsi to ide converter that I've never tried
with my sparcbook. It would be nice to replace the noisy internal hard
drive with something quieter, but I don't think I currently have a spare
2.5" ide drive to try. The converter I have is also touted as being more
for cdroms than hard drives, but there is nothing to say it wouldn't
work with a hard drive (possibly there is a limit on capacity)?

If I get round to trying it I'll let you know whether it works. I don't
even have a low capacity 3.5" IDE drive I could try at the moment.

Regards, Mark