[SPARCbook] maximizing my SPARCbook 3GX

Justin Haynes justin at justinhaynes.com
Sun Feb 6 22:50:20 CST 2011

List -

I am running OpenBSD 4.8 STABLE on my SPARCbook 3GX with 1.2 GB hard drive
and 64 (32x2) MB ram, and I'm interested in expanding it as much as
possible.  I've always liked the look and feel of these machines, and would
like to use it more often.

I'm interested in getting the 2GB Tadpole drive so that I can replace the
insides with a larger IDE drive.  Currently I'm using NFS quite a bit. :-)
I'm hoping someone on the list may either be willing to part with one or
know of a place that still sells them.  I've not found them sold any place
I've checked from the various FAQs out there or from any of my searching.

I'm hoping I can put in an SSD like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-32GB-SSD-2-5-Inch/dp/B000T9QRKE .  I'm not
sure how these SCSI to IDE converters will behave though.  If they can only
handle a certain a capacity, will they only see the first 16GB for
instance?  I'm hoping the decreased power consumption might allow the
battery to last a bit longer when the unit isn't plugged in.  Also, I expect
the fast wide SCSI-II to max out at 20MB/sec.  20MB/sec would be a *vast
improvement*

Also, I understand this hardware can take 128MB of RAM, but I keep reading
unconfirmed reports of it being able to handle 256.  I apologize if this is
already in the archives - I didn't find it.  I've already ordered the extra
64 I need to bring it to 128.

I was pleased to have Miod's help on the sparc at openbsd list where he told me
how to edit the driver file for the Weitek 9100 to support 32bpp.  I
recompiled the kernel and now X looks beautiful on the 3GX.

I'd like to have USB, but there don't seem to be any 16-bit usb interfaces
for Type I,II or III cards.  My Netgear MA401RA works very well as a wifi
device.

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers, I'd certainly love to hear them.

Thanks,

-Justin