[SPARCbook] RE: possible UltraBook AC adapter replacement [Super-User]

Super-User helsod at algonet.se
Wed Nov 27 18:06:39 CST 2002

scott.archer at vaisala.com wrote:

> [Scott]
> Hi Peter -
>
> 1. The 5-pin DC output connector is similar to a standard mini DIN-5 but the
> 2 aren't interchangable. The RDI 170/200 Ultrabook I hardware ref guide is
> at:
> "http://hw.tadpole.com/pdf/support/legacy/supported/manuals/ultrabook/refere
> nce.pdf".
> I'd suggest sending the AC adapter specs on page A5 and a copy of the DC
> connector
> pin-out on page B10 to Technical Devices of N. America [TDNA] at:
> "http://www.tdna.com/Adt_CUSTOM.HTM" for a quote. It'll be more than Radio
> Shack
> but hopefully less than Tadpole.
>
> Scott Archer

Thank you for the tip Scott !

I might give that a try in a little while. I'm still debating with
myself whether I should get the
Tadpole unit after all. The reason is that the battery seem to still be
good, or at least it takes charge.
If I dont have a charger but merely a power supply they will most likely
be damaged pretty quickly.
I'm not sure what a proper charger does exactly, I think it might charge
with constant current and other subtle tricks.

I wired up the connector according to the manual (the power supply error
pin goes to ground to indicate no error) to a lab power supply. I now
know why the Tadpole power supply has a fan of its own.
The power supply tripped the internal electronic fuse at 2.5A so I had
to go and get another one that more resembled a nuclear power plant than
anything else (maxed at 35A). The Ultrabook actually draws 4.5A when
running!! Thats one power hungry laptop.

So not just any old power supply will do here, but connecting an
external non Tadpole supply will work. The computer starts up and runs
nicely.

Another thing. The tiny SCSI connector on the Ultrabook is that a
Tadpole proprietary connector or is it a
standard one that I could possibly buy in a well equipped computer
store?
The manual seem to indicate it is standard, but I dont think I've ever
seen one like it before.
Any tip on where they can be had??

Thanks
Peter