[SPARCbook] SparkBook Woes

Rodolfo Segleau segleaur at mechanus.org
Wed Nov 6 10:09:54 CST 2002

> ----- Message from mparson at bl.org ---------
>     Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:02:33 -0600
>     From: Mike Parson <mparson at bl.org>
>  Subject: Re: [SPARCbook] SparkBook Woes
>       To: sparcbook at sunhelp.org
>

> > If I have to reinstall, can I just pull a SCSI CDROM out of a server,
> > put it in an external powered case and hook it directly up to the SB?
>
> I have done this, using a Sun branded Toshiba (i think) 4x SCSI
> drive, I've been able to install 2.6 a couple of different times.

IIRC, almost any SCSI-II CD-ROM should be able to read the Sun CDs (I believe
they're formatted at 512, instead of, once again, IIRC 64, like most PC CDs). I
have an old(er) Toshiba 2x SCSI drive which has jumpers to read different
format blocks (SGI/Sun blocks, NeXT/PC blocks).

> > Ugh, and I don't even have a Solaris CD to reinstall with. We live and
> > learn...
>
> That sucks, but I'm sure someone, somewhere might be able to provide
> you with some assistance in that area.

heh, well, check the archives... you might a kind soul who's placed the Tadpole
version of Solaris 2.5.1 on a ftp somewhere... actually, that post wasn't too
long ago either...

Cheers,

Rodolfo

--
A cynic is a person searching for an honest man, with a stolen latern. - Edgar
Shoaf