[SPARCbook] Project X

Bob Hoekstra sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 3 03:03:18 CST 2001

Fun project!

"Matthews, Jack" wrote:

> Ok, guys I see a few of you have decided to quit Solaris and Sparcbook. I'm
> a little more ignorant and I'm pushing through.
>
> Now for the project. I have five pieces of equipment to intranetwork. I have
> a Colbalt Cube e-mail,file,webpage server (running Linux), A sun
> sparcstation20, a Sparcbook3000XT, A Sparcbook 3TX, and a sunPics
> Sparcprinter II(last four are Solaris 2.6 OS). I want to network them in my
> house. So I'm doing the cabling(CAT5) and terminations now. I want to
> network them together(intranet) and connect them to the internet via my ISDN
> line into the house.
>
> What additional hardware do I need?

The most important thing you don't mention is what your network is going
to run on. OK, you have CAT5 cable, but are you using a hub or a switch.
I would recommend a switch (a little more expensive, but worth it). I
use a Netgear FS308, which I can wholeheartedly recommend, as it
autonegotiates the speed settings correctly with all my machines. 100Mb
full duplex is great! Beware of Cisco equipment: excellent gear, but
very expensive and will only autonegotiate reliably with other Cisco
gear. If you go for a hub, you can never run any full duplex
communication.

> How would you go about this?

You have your incoming 'phone line to your isdn router. Connect this to
one machine only. The reason: this machine will be your firewall and
must be carefully set up to prevent undesirables from getting into your
network. However, this machine must have 2 ethernet interfaces. The
other i/f goes to the switch/hub and all other machines connect here as
well. Simple so far.

On your firewall you need to configure some sort of firewalling
software. You may find that the easiest machine to use would be the
Cobalt, as this is your mail server as well. With Linux, ipchains may be
your best free option. If you decide to put a Sun box there instead,
look at ipfilter. A web search will bring up enough web sites with good
advice on either of these.

Good luck.

--

Bob Hoekstra:   APL & Unix Consultant