[SPARCbook] Project X

sparcbook at sunhelp.org sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 2 17:14:09 CST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Matthews, Jack wrote:

> Now for the project. I have five pieces of equipment to intranetwork. I have
> a Colbalt Cube e-mail,file,webpage server (running Linux), A sun
> sparcstation20, a Sparcbook3000XT, A Sparcbook 3TX, and a sunPics
> Sparcprinter II(last four are Solaris 2.6 OS). I want to network them in my
> house. So I'm doing the cabling(CAT5) and terminations now. I want to
> network them together(intranet) and connect them to the internet via my ISDN
> line into the house.

There's a couple of considerations here.

First, how many public Internet addresses do you have?  Can you assign a
separate, public address to each piece of equipment?

If you can assign one of each, a hub or simple router may be all you need.

If you only have one public address, you'll need something that can route
traffic from multiple internal addresses to a single external.  Some docs
refer to this as "IP Masquerading".

In any case, you'll need to accomplish two things - tying all the machines
together, and tying them to the ISDN line.

For instance, I have a cable modem with one public address.  I have a
Linux box which I use as an IP-Masquerading router.  It has an internal
and an external interface, and routes any traffic for the outside world
from the internal network.  The packets look like they are coming from the
same piece of hardware on the same IP address.  The external interface
jacks right into the cable modem.  The internal plugs into a standard hub,
with drops running for the other three.

> What additional hardware do I need?

A hub of some sort, and a router of some sort.  You may be able to get
both in one package, depending on your needs.

If you want more specific help, please feel free to email me personally.
This really isn't Sparcbook specific, so may be offtopic for this
particular mailing list.

-------Patrick M Geahan------pmgeahan at home.com-------ICQ:3784715------
Quote of the Week: "Where in the bible does it say `God so loved the
world that he congested bandwidth by forwarding email to everyone in
his address book?'" - Tom Sevart in alt.folklore.urban