[SPARCbook] Project X

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 2 12:58:55 CST 2001

Jack,

My advice is to consider dedicating one piece of equipment as the always on,
router/server machine (a set and forget-type box) - like the SS/20?

For cabling I would suggest that you put hubs/switches on each floor of your
house - if you have a condo/apt, then one switch would suffice... The issue
I am addressing is the 10 Base T nature of your ethernet connections on your
machines. 8 Port switches can be had quite cheaply (Linksys or see
www.centrix-intl.com), they are typically a small incremental cost over the
price of a hub.

To not run Cat 5 would be a shame, esp. considering 1000' feet of Cat 5
cable is less than $75 (see radioshack.com).

I would seriously think about dumping the ISDN line - 128K is not that much
faster than a good 56K dial-up account, and the cost will be significantly
cheaper. Cable/DSL are obviously preferable to ISDN, so I assume you have
not got these options in your area).

www.sunhelp.org has a decent how-to on routing under solaris, if you poke
around a bit.

That's my advice, hope it helps,