[SPARCbook] SB3 and short reads

Mat Maessen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sun Nov 26 00:12:54 CST 2000

> I do have one last question - mostly a clarifiction.  When I execute
> "shutdown -g0", the system works for a while, then comes to a point where
> it says to enter root password or ctrl-d for maintenance.  At this point,
> I do a stop-a and a power-off.  Is this the proper point to do this?  It's
> in single-user at this point, as best I can tell, so I don't see why not.

It's in single-user at that point, but the filesystems are still mounted
read-write. Bad to suck power out from under it at that point.
Better way to shut down:

init 0 (brings you down to boot PROM)

or

init 5 (powers off the unit)

If you must use the shutdown command, put a -i0  or -i5 in the command line. See
"man shutdown" for more details. In either case, you're passing a new runlevel
to init, and you want that to be either 0 or 5 for a proper shutdown.

-Mat