[SPARCbook] SCSI/IDE Adapters

Hatle, Steven J. sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 9 07:42:02 CST 2000

All,

A while back I purchased a SCSI/IDE adapter that allowed me to put an IDE
laptop disk into my Sparcbook. It's working great, and I let John know that
if he had more, he could probably move some here on the SB list. Per the
e-mail below, I've given John the instructions on how to find the SparcBook
mailing list, so hopefully he will pop in soon.

As far as  how the card works, it piggybacks on the drive, and the whole
assembly fits fine in my Sparcbook sled. When I installed the OS on the
drive, I had to pass the head/cylinder/sector info to the 'format' program
before it could deal with the drive, but after that, everything works just
fine. It seems slightly slower than my straight SCSI drive, but considering
how much cheaper it is to add disk with this thing vs. 2.5" SCSI disks, it's
very much worth it in my opinion. With the second sled I got from Paul at
Tadpole, I now have a "work drive" and a "play drive" for my SB! <grin>

I have no affiliation with John, other than as a satisfied customer. I don't
know his current price on these things, but I got mine for substantially
less than the $200-300 I've seen discussed for these at retail, if you can
find them <grin>.

Steve