[SPARCbook] SCSI/IDE Adapters

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Thu Nov 9 20:36:49 CST 2000

The PowerBook (or whatever) SCIS/IDE drives being sold for $400 (for a 6.4
Gig drive/adapter combo) are latest-generation devices, both in the adapter
and the base drive. Older IDE drives, and older SCSI/IDE adapters may not
perform as well as the newer devices... Of course, I could have simply been
duped by some marketing hype, but it makes sense to me.

The original SCSI 2.5" drives were not that fast at all. IIRC. I believe
they were slower than comparative 3.5" drives of the same era...

Ken